Library Byte by Byte is a blog about my adventures in the technology world!

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Thing # 18 - Online tools, or Can we really get it free???

I tried both of the word processing tools mentioned. I found that OpenOffice took a good bit of time to download but was useful when I got it loaded. I was however VERY impressed with the ease and simplicity of GoogleDocs. I also liked the way that you can share and edit documents with GoogleDocs. I have used GoogleDocs with a class that I am currently auditing, all of the students are located in different parts of the state and the U. S. and we were able to take a document and all look at it and make our comments and edits in one place without the hassle of emailing and sending a document all around to get the changes and ideas we needed to get a finished product. I think that both tools offer a viable alternative to Microsoft Office with the added benefit of sharing the document with others for either viewing or editing. It is like being in a "virtual conference" room and collaborating with others from all over the world --- what an awesome world we live in!

No comments: