Library Byte by Byte is a blog about my adventures in the technology world!

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Thing #16 - Wicky, wacky, wikis!

I have worked with wikis for at least four years, thanks again to my incredible boss, and I think there are unlimited uses for them!!! In our school district we have several wikis that we use for a variety of things, we have one for posting new websites that are good for different subject areas, one that we posted reviews of "required reading" titles for our secondary schools, several that solicited thoughts and comments on different school district initiatives like new library construction, technology in libraries, etc.
Anyway, I even started a wiki to record family information from relatives all over the U. S., essentially a place to write down antidotal stories from our childhood about our long lost relatives. I think wikis a an awesome tool for sharing thoughts, ideas, and stories for anything! They allow us to share in real time with people who live all over the world, they really are a boon to us in this mobile information society.
As for education uses, it's a great way to share student thoughts, comments, and ideas in a common space, I even know of a school where they use a wiki for teachers to order lunch from a local salad and sandwich restaurant. What a great example of the use of digital technology!

No comments: