Library Byte by Byte is a blog about my adventures in the technology world!

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Thing # 8, or how to read your favorite blogs without going nuts!

I have actually had a Google reader account for about 6 months, it started slowly because when I set it up I didn't really have to time to play with it, after about a month I went in and began to add some of the blogs I like to read. I have been a dedicated blog reader for over a year --- I am really a "lurker" in that I like to read blogs and comment on them, I am just not a really good blogger. Anyone who knows me will readily tell you that I am MUCH more of a talker than a writer, hence blogging is not my "preferred" form of communication, but I really LOVE reading what others write!

Anyway to recap the assignments for this Thing I need to answer the following:

1. What do I like about RSS and newsreaders?
I absolutely LOVE the fact that I can get all of the new posts and information from my favorite sites in ONE place! And yes, it is VERY addicting, I check my Google Reader account at least twice a day. I also love the star and share features, this allows me to mark the posts that I want to refer back to and it lets me share the posts that I think others might benefit from.

2. How do you think you might use this in your professional and/or personal life?
Well, that is simple!!! I am able to keep up with the new ideas and news that help me improve my professional abilities and knowledge this in turn helps me to be better at my job and to help other librarians that I work with. Knowledge is power and this helps me be a better systems administrator and librarian.

3. How can libraries use RSS or take advantage of this new technology?
I think that as a librarian the first thing you can do is share this technology with others in your school or library, this will help others keep up with their interests both professional and personal. Recently I taught my Mom how to use Google Reader to keep up with the quilting blogs she likes to read, although we weren't in a library I felt like the librarian showing her a new way to accomplish something. In other words the librarian in me was able to pass the power of knowledge on to someone else, score!!! Also, there are so many great book review sites that would help any librarian keep up with what is new in literature, how can you miss with that?!?

Finally, I made my shared items on my blog, so if you look in the left column you will see the posts that I thought were worth sharing.

No comments: