Library Byte by Byte is a blog about my adventures in the technology world!

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Thing 4

Okay, my blog is registerd, I am on PDLC for district credit and rarin' to go!

I did think about curriculum connections for blogs and as a librarian I think one of the best ideas for using blogging with students is having them express their views about books and reviews of books by using a blog. Two of our elementary schools are already doing this and it has been really fun to watch and successful for both the librarians and the students. Anyway, I would love to see that expanded, especially at the secondary level. I also thought about how you could use blogs in a classroom setting, and I think that the idea of posting and have students respond is a great easy way to use blogging.
How about this --- in a social studies class to study current events you could post a current article from a local or national newspaper and have students respond by posting comments that agree or disagree with the news/issues reported. You would be encouraging writing, analyzing, and forming opinions and expressive writing all in one assignment. I think the best thing about using blogs in an educational setting is that they would allow the student and teacher to address several educational goals with this one awesome tool!

Liz's Library Byte

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, those are some great ideas. I can't wait to get back to school to share these with some of our 5th and 6th grade teachers. I especially like the social studies one about current events. I'm loving this!