Library Byte by Byte is a blog about my adventures in the technology world!

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Thing # 7 Lions, Tigers, and Google ..... Oh My!

Okay, I titled this post with an altered quote from one of my family's favorite movies, The Wizard of Oz. I did that for a couple of reasons; first I really LOVE that line from the movie, next I think that this "journey" through Web 2.0 tools is a lot like the movie, we are all experiencing things we have never seen, heard, or even thought of before, and finally I think that many people (I am not one of them) consider Google the "big scary monster" out there! Well, they certainly are big, and at times it can be kind of scary to see all that Google has and can do, but they certainly are the monster that some think of them as! For me Google is kind of like being an extra on Star Trek (another family favorite), I am watching from a far a journey that is taking us all into the unknown! Going through all that Google has to offer is amazing, mind boggling, and at times totally overwhelming ---- but still FUN! I think after exploring some ( I am still not through it all) of the great tools that Google has to offer I found a few new "favorite things" that I am really excited about using. The first we actually get to a little further down in our "playground fun", but I am already using it and have been for the last 2 months, it is Google Reader and truthfully I am not sure how I got along without it!?! Being able to keep up with all of the blogs that I like to read in ONE place is totally AWESOME!!! I visit my Google reader at least twice a day and I'm not really sure how I functioned reading blogs before it.... although I guess my incredibly long list of "bookmarks" tell that story :) in any event, Google reader rocks! The other two things that I am now "Google addicted" to are the Google toolbar, and Google notebook they are both so useful. The Google toolbar has this great "AutoFill" function which fills in your name and address when you have to fill out forms and other great fun things! Google Notebook gives you the ability to copy and paste information from the web and keep it in a file to refer to later, you can have file folders for different things, like recipes, instructions for cleaning granite, information articles, and any other little things you want to have access to without having to find where they are on the web again! What a great tool! Okay, this post has gone on for way too long and I am sure I should be coving other things, but I think I'd better quit now and go "play" with Google some more!
That's all for now folks!

Liz's Bytes

No comments: